Pursuant to the ‘Restrictions on Businesses, Activities and Undertakings Direction’ and best practice directions issued by the Real Estate Of Queensland (REIQ), the following protocols have been implemented by our team.
What precautions should I implement when conducting inspections?
- Contact the occupants to ensure no one in the home is currently ill, is in self-isolation or has just returned from overseas before proceeding with an open home. (If they have answered yes to any of these questions, it is recommended that the open home be postponed at least 14 days (in accordance with Queensland Health recommendations);
- Contact the attendees prior to an inspection to ensure they are not currently ill, are in self-isolation or have just returned from overseas and advise them to not attend if they have answered yes to any of these questions;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth at all times when conducting inspections;
- Provide a written notice to attendees stating that entry will not be permitted to people displaying symptoms and/or those who meet other ‘at risk’ criteria as stipulated by health authorities;
- Consider wearing disposable gloves before touching any objects and fixtures within the home, especially high-touch surfaces such as door handles, tap handles and window fittings;
- Provide and/or advise the use of disinfectants to owners, occupants and guests prior to and at the end of an open home;
- Politely decline to shake hands or have any other physical contact with owners, occupants and guests; and
- Reassure both owners and prospective buyers that you are simply following best practice precautionary measures which are not in response to any confirmed coronavirus cases within the agency or immediate area.
For prospective buyers and tenants:
- Display appropriate signage at the entry of the home with the specific requirements clearly outlined for all prospective buyers to adhere to prior to entering the property (such notice should it make it clear that attendees may be asked to leave the property if they appear to exhibit symptoms or the agent is concerned that they may pose a risk);
- Provide alcohol-based hand sanitiser and request all visitors use it upon entering a property;
- Request all attendees to refrain from touching any objects and fixtures within the home and instead ask the agent/s to demonstrate the functionality of any devices should it be necessary;
- Maintain social distancing of at least 1.5 metres where possible;
- Politely request refraining from any physical contact with others whilst in the home; and,
- Do not permit entry to anyone who is coughing, sneezing or showing any signs or symptoms of illness.